Monday, February 23, 2015

I always knew I was complex

I saw the surgeon today, had some really good questions answered.

We decided that we would try the seton again - with a different grade of string...

If that doesn't work then he'll refer me to the fistula clinic "downtown".... which is something that I was hoping he would say!

We talked about the MRI I had - I have a transspincter fistula - surgeon thinks that it's the same one as before and the seton previously used didn't work.

It makes me nervous to try the seton again, I don't think it will succeed but the alternative would really suck.

Where the fistula sits puts me at ++increased risk of incontinence (stool) is excised (cut out) because it's anterior (really close to the vagina) which puts me at increased risk for incontinence (urine) and painful sex or the worst would be where I would require a colostomy.... all totally possible if we turn to surgical routes.

When he first came to talk in the room, I asked what options there were...

He "tried" to tell me - nothing.... ya we are NOT doing that (I didn't even let him finish that sentence!) - I am NOT living with this thing for the rest of my life with constant issues and pain and infections and such. This is interfering with my ability to work and therefore earn a living!

Then he commented about the seton - which is ultimately what we decided....

And surgery (see above about why we won't be doing that just yet)...

So I said, based on these options I suppose we'll go with the seton.... so I'm going under again by the end of the week.

I also asked him "Is my fistula simple or complex"... I barely got the sentence out when he said "complex.... absolutely complex".... see again above for the reasons why.



So if this doesn't work I will be going to see the pros at these sorts of things but we'll try the least invasive first. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment