Thursday, October 29, 2015

From neuro to surgical nurse in T - 39 days

I received my transfer letter yesterday, signed it and sent it off today. I suppose that finalized it all.

I begin orientatino on Dec. 7th and I'm absolutely excited!

I'm sure the learning curve will be quite steep, I'm sure there will be times that I will be overwhelmed. Transferring to the surgical unit will put me back to square one (almost) where, although I'll have the basics, I don't know how to handle the adverse events that occur when someone's on the unit after having had surgery. At least not firsthand. I'm sure it's quite different to experience it than to read about it in a book.

I'll be having 4 wks of orientation then reassess whether I'm ready to take on the pt load myself. I think in terms of prioritization and juggling many different balls will be easier because of my experience on the in-pt neuro/gen-med unit.

I doubt that my unit will do anything to commemorate my transfer to the new unit. It bothers me how some are given things but others are not. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I'm ready to leave, that's for sure.

On a side note - little tyke comes home from Pakistan in FOUR days!!!! I miss her so much. We haven't talked as much as I would have liked. My BILs & SIL came home last week so I was able to see a video and some pics of her, bringing the longing for her out to the open. On the flip side, I'm oh so excited that she was able to experience her heritage through this trip. It's important that she knows that side of her history.

No comments:

Post a Comment