Sunday, January 10, 2016

Losing my shit

Title is two fold -

On one fold is work where on the unit we have two pts that call ALLLLLLL the time. One pt is able to get up on their own and yet they will call to tell a nurse that they need to be "boosted" in bed. Same pt told me I needed to turn up the temp in the room because they won''t put another blanket on. Thing is, they aren't in a private room by themselves and there is another pt to think of. Yep they don't give a shit. It's all about them. Ya, I don't roll with that one! I turned the heat up a little bit but the pt still complained the temp wasn't high enough - I told this pt that we aren't a hotel, that we're in the HOSPITAL and we are there to take care of pt, not to cater to them! They made a HUGE fuss - ya I walked away on that BS!

The other pt picks their nose to the point of it bleeding and making a MASSIVE mess - and throwing everything on the floor. EWWWWWW nasty! I've even said to the pt that they wouldn't do that in their own home and therefore shouldn't do it at the hospital. Ya they don't care - still it occurs. UGH! Then the other nite when I worked the night the pt got up by themself while I was on break and fell in the bathroom. So then I had to do an incident report because this pt got up without calling for my counterpart when they were supposed to. UGH!!!! Then of course they hurt themselves and screamed bloody murder in a WARD room -----> which means 3 other pts in the room ----> at 2 in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing seemed to help - pain meds didn't seem to help for about 3 hours. Of course this pt falls asleep just as I'm about to be leaving. Wishing I don't have this pt again or that they go elsewhere before I go back to work.

The two fold part is that the new semester starting is just around the corner. The new nursing course is community health - something I know very very little about. To be quite honest I'm not really looking forward to it. And to make matters more complicated I have an elective this semester - an english course. I AM looking forward to the clinical course because I'm required to read a couple of interesting books - like The Hunger Games & Bridget Jones's Diary - for this english class. What an english class eh?! I hope it isn't too challenging. I hope that I can cope well with taking the two classes and working at the new place. I can't believe we're down to the last three semesters - down to the last couple of courses. I love that this is the last year (god willing!). I've heard that this community health course is rather difficult but I'm hoping that I can cope and that I can understand the concepts being taught. I can't wait until this year is finished and I can say I FINALLY did it - that I finally have a BSN to put at the end of my name. It's been quite the journey, I'm just hoping that I'm about at the finish line...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with all of these "interesting" patients! It definitely gives you stories to remember and share as horror stories later on down the road. Someday, you'll be able to laugh about them in ernest, until then just laugh to keep from maybe wanting to pull your hair out. I hope you have loads of fun in your english class! I loved reading the hunger games, even more than I loved the movies!

    -BedpanAlley

    ReplyDelete